Wednesday 8 July 2015

In housing no-one can hear your scream


I didn't know what anti-social behaviour meant until I moved in next door to an ice addict.  On the second day another neighbour asked me how I was coping living there.  She said  'Housing shouldn't have put anyone next to him, it's irresponsible!'  I said so far so good.  They were early days, I hadn't had the full impact.

Then the ice addict graduated to ice dealing and next door became a portal to hell.  My life
became cacophony of abuse, noise, violence, police, crims, thugs, would be bikies, suits,
undercover cops, paramedics and numerous enablers streaming in.  They banged on my door demanding to be let in, not listening when I said it was next door they wanted.  I have been threatened, cajoled, sweet talked, had really fit guys climbing the walls and roof like Spiderman on speed, not breaking a sweat and eyeballing me intensely. 

Then my neighbour started renting out rooms and then kicking his tenants out and withholding their belongings.  Doors starting to be kicked in, people screaming outside they wanted their stuff, threats abounding 'You better see me before I see you, you f**- dog-give-up-police-informer-useless-old-f**-c** !!!”

I complained to my local office and was told to write a letter to Housing and if possible get other neighbours to do the same so it wasn't just a vendetta by one tenant. I said 'apparently they already have and this has been going on for over ten years'. 

Housing said 'We don't have a record of that.  Start keeping a diary and report the activity on these forms.  Then send it to us and we will stamp it.  Call the police in regard to excessive noise and criminal activity.  Then get a police event number so we can communicate with the local area command as we have what's called a Memorandum of Understanding, which allows us to take quicker action.'  'Strong action needs strong evidence'  they said. 

I did that, over and over again for 5 years, I rang the police so much I felt apologetic when I reported another break in, door smashed, excessive noise, violence, UR's (unauthorised residents), and possible drug dealing. 

I became a super-dooper-hyper -vigilant -curtain-twitcher immersed in a climate of paranoia.  First you experience the antisocial behaviour, then you have to make sense of it, by documenting, reporting and talking about it to different client service officers, police, team leaders, local MP's, magistrates, tribunals, community justice, crisis teams – anyone who will listen, as you become more and more desperate and frustrated.  In those 5 years I never experienced a night of unbroken sleep except when I stayed with friends or family. 

Everyone becomes burnt out by anti-social
behaviour.  The police say it's not their problem, Housing have to evict the tenant, Housing say it's not their problem ring the police. Meanwhile we have to get event numbers from both departments and continue to document, document, report, report, talk talk and then to be told that each incident is only relevant if it's reported within 30 days.  In housing no-one can hear you scream.

Annonymous.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and checked weekly by volunteers. If approved, comments will be posted to the blog. Thank you for your input.